Dr Lisa Joels
Gynaecologist in Cayman Islands (OBGYN)
MB ChB, MD, FRCOG, FHEA
OBSTETRICIAN & GYNAECOLOGIST (OBGYN)
I am an accomplished consultant gynaecology surgeon and gynaecologist in Cayman Islands with 34 years’ experience in obstetrics and gynaecology including nearly 20 years as a Consultant in Swansea (2001-11) and subsequently at the Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust in the UK (2011-20). Both of these are University teaching hospitals, and in each I spent around a decade engaged in clinic gynaecology and gynaecology surgery, including minimal access surgery. Furthermore, I was the clinical lead for paediatric and adolescent gynaecology, and a member of BritSPAG.
I firmly believe in a woman-centred approach to care, shared decision making and have a particular interest in safety in surgery.
Discover my credentials as a highly experienced, tertiary obstetrician too
My Practice Information
OBGYN – Gynaecologist in Cayman Islands
Tel: (345) 745-7450
Fax: (345) 745-7460
Location: Grand Pavilion (Hibiscus Way Entrance), 802 West Bay Road
Mailing Address: Box 934, 10 Market Street, Camana Bay, George Town, Grand Cayman, KY1-9006
Clinic Fees Information: https://obgyn.ky/clinic-fees-information/
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
Saturday: 9am to 1pm
Although I am available for walk-in appointments, to see me personally it is always better to book. However, as I am supported by my excellent colleagues Dr Madhavi Manoharan and Midwife Allie Campbell, you will almost always be able to see somebody.
Finding My Clinic
We are very easy to find!
Book an Appointment
About Me – Gynaecologist in Cayman Islands
I moved to the Cayman Islands in early 2020, to join our group of clinicians bound by a passion for quality, safety, service and genuinely patient-centred care. I run my clinic schedule so that I can really take the time to understand my patients’ needs or problems, as well as investigate calmly, explain things clearly and ensure that their views and care wishes are properly considered or taken into account. Gynaecology can be emotionally uncomfortable for women, requiring compassion, sensitivity and shared decision-making in care. We are privileged to have a calm, private Women’s Health Suite in which to conduct just such care.
My privileges include full surgical and admitting rights at George Town Hospital (HSA) and at CTMH Doctors Hospital. I work with a wide variety of the Island’s anaesthetists and alongside my colleagues or other OBGYNs when undertaking more complex procedures requiring more hands.
In the UK, I was Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist at Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust, a Regional Centre and one of the South West of England’s largest. Prior to this, I spent a decade as consultant in Swansea, a busy regional and local hospital with a high throughput of gynaecology surgery. In both, I engaged in procedures in outpatient clinics, as day case and in full theatres. I have an extensive log book of cases with excellent outcomes, very low complication rates and no safety issues at all. My whole ethos is to be a very safe pair of hands.
GMC REGISTRATION: Full registration December 1986. No: 3090192
SPECIALIST REGISTER: 1998 Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Dr Lisa Joels Career Highlights
(From prior to being a Gynaecologist in Cayman Islands)
- Nearly 20 years as a UK Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist working at tertiary level.
- Fellow of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG).
- Postgraduate Examiner, then Chairperson for the RCOG Examination and Assessment Committee (2015-18).
- MOET Course prize-winner (course in obstetric safety & management of emergencies).
- Doctorate in Medicine, University of Bristol, awarded for Fertility Research
- Clinical Lead for Fertility in Exeter (2014-20)
OBGYN vs Gynecologist vs Gynaecologist in Cayman Islands
They are all the same and so it is no wonder that sometimes patients are confused (even I get confused)! OBGYN is the common term used in Cayman Islands to describe an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist. Gynecologist is simply the US spelling of Gynaecologist.
OBGYN is a title that covers many disciplines. I am trained, accredited and experienced (at tertiary level) in the following:
- Gynaecology Surgery (including minimal access or laparoscopic surgery)
- Child & Adolescent Gynaecology (for which is was a Lead)
- Obstetrics i.e. Pregnancy, including High Risk Prgenancies
- Fertility (I have a Doctorate degree in Fertility)
This page is about me the Gynaecologist in Cayman Islands. If you are interested in my obstetric and pregnancy experience, I have a separate page just for that.
Discover my credentials as a highly experienced, tertiary obstetrician too
Gynaecology Services in Grand Cayman
Here are the services I offer as a Gynaecologist in Cayman Islands, out of Grand Pavilion, West Bay Road, Grand Cayman. It’s not comprehensive, so please ask if you don’t see.
- Diagnosis and management of benign gynaecological problems
- Menstrual disorders including bleeding after intercourse, postcoital bleeding or post-menopausal bleeding
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Pelvic pain and painful intercourse
- Menopause and Menopause Symptoms
- Urogynaecological problems including prolapse and incontinence
- Hormone problems including menopause and polycystic ovary syndrome
- Ovarian cysts and fibroids
- Vulval disorders
- Screening services including cervical smear tests
- Gynaecological ultrasound
- Minimal access surgery & advanced laparoscopic procedures for endometriosis, adhesions & benign ovarian cysts
- Hysteroscopic surgery, including removal and resection of polyps and fibroids
- Open surgery including hysterectomy, removal of fibroids and large benign ovarian masses
Child & Adolescent Gynaecology
- Pre-pubertal girls – vulvo-vaginitis, discharge and soreness of the vulva, skin tags and fusion of the labia
- Problems of puberty – delayed puberty, early puberty
- Period issues – heavy periods, painful periods and pelvic pain
- Laparoscopic surgery for benign ovarian cysts and endometriosis
- Contraceptive advice
I have a special interest in Child & Adolescent Gynaecology and run this services for our clinic.
Appointment Booking with Dr Lisa Joels, Gynaecologist in Cayman Islands
Please simply work through the steps on screen. If you have seen one of our our team previously, it is likely we have your details in the system. Please use the following information when prompted to do so:
- Your own email
- Your name (or child’s name, if booking for them)
- Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy) (or Child’s…)
- Your Gender (or Child’s)
Booking on Mobile
If you are using a smartphone, it helps to turn your screen sideways (landscape).
Urgent Care/ Sick Appointments
If you cannot see an appointment slot available, please call us on (345) 745 7450 within office hours or on the Out-of-Hours Service (345) 326 4370 (Note: Calls only, Out-of-Hours Only) as we can almost always see urgent cases.
Online booking with instant confirmation
Please simply work through the steps on screen. On mobile, try turning your phone sideways.
Education, Training & Experience
- MB ChB – Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery
- MD – Doctorate of Medicine
- FRCOG – Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- FHEA – Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
In addition to her explicit qualifications, Dr Joels has extensive additional training in the following areas:
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Hysteroscopic surgery
- MOET (Management of Obstetric Emergencies and Trauma)
- Paediatric and adolescent gynaecology
- Reproductive medicine and surgery including assisted conception
- Contraception including insertion of contraceptive coils and implants
- Clinical governance and risk management
NOTE: I HAVE A WHOLE PAGE ON MY GYNAE EXPERIENCE & SERVICES
Throughout my career, I have trained in and delivered gynaecology services, including as a tertiary consultant in University Hospital settings for the last 19 years.
I am confident in both abdominal and vaginal hysterectomy, open myomectomy, vaginal repairs and hysteroscopic resection of polyps and fibroids. I am trained in advanced laparoscopic surgery, including a focus on treating infertility and chronic pelvic pain. I currently undertake surgery for grade 4 endometriosis including, excision of endometriosis, ovarian cystectomy, bowel and ureteric dissection and other operative laparoscopic procedures including adhesiolysis, salpingo-oophorectomy and ectopic pregnancy. I have carried out LAVH and laparoscopic subtotal hysterectomies and total laparoscopic hysterectomies.
Additionally, I am trained in gynaecological ultrasound scanning and conduct this routinely in clinic. I can also carry out HyCoSy (tubal patency) scanning for appropriately selected patients.
Furthermore, I was the clinical lead for paediatric and adolescent gynaecology, a member of BritSPAG and I saw babies, girls and adolescents in the joint PAG clinic with a paediatric consultant colleague.
I have obstetric experience spanning 34 years, with 19+ years at consultant level, including the majority at tertiary level, with a heavy emphasis on obstetric safety, including being the Prize Winner on the Internationally-recognised obstetric safety course (called MOET).
As a tertiary-trained and experienced consultant, I have a considerable experience in the management of complications of pregnancy including managing obstetric haemorrhage with Rusch balloons and B Lynch sutures, caesarean hysterectomy, severe pre-eclampsia and eclampsia.
I have managed antenatal and postnatal care throughout my career and I believe in supporting women in shared decision-making about mode of delivery and encourage aiming for normal vaginal delivery and vaginal birth after caesarean section. I am experienced in caesarean section, instrumental vaginal delivery including ventouse, Neville Barnes forceps and rotational delivery with manual rotation and Kiellands forceps. I have experience of vaginal breech deliveries and vaginal twin deliveries.
High Risk Obstetrics
As a tertiary service, both in Exeter and Swansea, we were referred difficult cases and we can active high-risk pregnancy clinics or services focused on a heightened degree of monitoring, active multidisciplinary working with our fetal-maternal medicine colleagues, as well as the medical genetics service to ensure genetic abnormalities were picked up and managed accordingly. I also have a personal interest in obstetric safety.
Consequently, that have given me an extensive background in high risk pregnancies, regardless of aetiology, including underlying conditions such as diabetes, to lifestyle choices such as having children later in life.
In reproductive medicine I am experienced in diagnosis and management of infertility and manage patients undergoing ovulation induction, IVF and IUI. I have been trained to perform open tubal microsurgery including reversal of sterilisation, tubal surgery and cuff salpingostomy. I now carry out most of the tubal surgery laparoscopically.
- Diagnostic assessment of both female and male partners experiencing a delay in conceiving
- Investigations including ultrasound and laparoscopic assessment of the woman’s pelvis and tubal patency
- Assessment and treatment of hormone disorders
- Onward referral to assisted conception services where appropriate
- Understanding of the psychosocial consequences of a delay in conceiving
Latest News & Views from Dr Lisa
What is Endometriosis Endometriosis is a common gynaecological disorder thought to affect up to 10% of reproductive-aged women[i] worldwide. In people with endometriosis, tissue that normally lines the inside of the uterus (the endometrium) starts to grow in other...
October is Menopause Awareness Month and so we wanted to provide a series of pieces about the menopause to help educate and raise greater awareness of the many menopause symptoms. What is Menopause? Menopause is said to have occurred when a woman has stopped...
It’s been a busy year for our Complete Care Pregnancy Team, the only one in the Cayman Islands that combines tertiary Obstetricians, a Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist and Neonatologists (Newborn Care Specialists), along with dedicated Midwifery, all within one...
What is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome & What are the PCOS Symptoms? Polycystic ovary syndrome (or PCOS) is a common condition in which the female ovaries produce above-average levels of the male sex hormone testosterone. Testosterone, in the right amounts, plays a...
Meet Our Unique Cayman OBGYN Team
Our Team covers Obstetrics, Fetal Medicine, Gynaecology, Nursing & Midwifery
100% female, true-multidisciplinary, tertiary medical team, including working alongside a full paediatric/neonatal team, supported by highly experienced nursing & midwifery team.