Dr Madhavi Manoharan
(Obstetrician in Cayman Islands)
MBBS, MD, FRCOG
OBSTETRICIAN & GYNAECOLOGIST (OBGYN)
Prior to becoming an obstetrician in Cayman Islands, I gained 23 years’ experience in obstetrics and gynaecology, including more than a decade at tertiary level, 7 years as consultant at the prestigious Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust and a number of years as assistant professor of clinical obstetrics and gynaecology at the world-renowned Weil Cornell Medicine, located in their Qatar campus, part of Cornell University.
Besides being passionate about holistic, woman-centred pregnancy care, I am also accredited in fetal-maternal medicine, giving me advanced training and skills in high-risk pregnancies or where complications are identified. I am also an experienced gynaecologist, gynaecology surgeon and accredited colposcopist.
Book an Appointment
My Practice Information
Obstetrician in Cayman Islands (Obgyn, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist)
Tel: (345) 745-7450
Fax: (345) 745-7460
Location: Grand Pavilion (Hibiscus Way Entrance), 802 West Bay Road
Mailing Address: Box 934, 10 Market Street, Camana Bay, George Town, Grand Cayman, KY1-9006
Clinic Fees Information: https://obgyn.ky/clinic-fees-information/
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
Saturday: 9am to 1pm
Although I am available for walk-in appointments, although it is always better to book online to ensure you are seen promptly. I am also supported by my excellent colleagues Dr Lisa Joels, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist, and Midwife Allie Campbell, so there is always someone to help if you simply turn up.
Finding My Clinic
We are very easy to find!
Book an Appointment
About Me – Obstetrician in Cayman Islands
I arrived in early 2021, joining a team passionate about excellence in care and service, as an obstetrician in Cayman Islands, based in Grand Pavilion at our Women’s, Children’s & Family Medicine Practice, including Dermatology. Besides my passion for a wonderful and safe pregnancy, I am also a fetal-medicine specialist, with an interest in multiple pregnancies and where fetal anomalies exist. I am also formally certified to perform trans-abdominal and trans-vaginal scans for early pregnancy problems, and I am particualrly experienced in managing high-risk pregnancies.
Besides my obstetric & fetal-maternal medicine credentials and passion, I am also an experience gynaecologist and gynaecology surgeon.
Prior to moving to Cayman Islands, I gained 23 years’ experience in obstetrics and gynaecology, with just over a decade at tertiary level and 7 years as consultant at the highly regarded London hospital called Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust. I was also assistant professor of clinical obstetrics and gynaecology at the Internationally-regarded and recognised Weil Cornell Medicine, part of Cornell University, where I was based in their Qatar campus.
GMC REGISTRATION: Full registration April 2004. No: 6062987
SPECIALIST REGISTER: 2010 Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Dr Madhavi Manoharan Career Highlights
(From prior to being an Obstetrician in Cayman Islands)
- More than a decade working as a tertiary consultant in obstetrics & gynaecology, including 7 years at prestigious Royal Free London Hospitals
- Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Lead for Diabetes services in pregnancy, including the harmonization and modernization of diabetes in pregnancy guidelines across multiple hospitals
- Special interest & accreditation in Fetal-maternal Medicine, serving my interest in High-Risk Pregnancies
- Examiner for the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Associate Professor Cornel University (Cornell Weil Qatar Campus)
- Accredited in Colposcopy by The British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology
OBGYN vs Obstetrician in Cayman Islands
Having worked for a US University as an Assistant Professor and as a Consultant in the UK NHS, I am used to both the term OBGYN (more widely used in the US… and here) and Obstetrician. Both are fine as both are the same!
OBGYN is a title that covers many disciplines. I am trained, accredited and experienced (at tertiary level) in the following:
- Obstetrics i.e. Pregnancy
- High Risk Prgenancies
- Fetal-Maternal Medicine
- Gynaecology Surgery (including minimal access or laparoscopic surgery)
- Abdominal Ultrasound
- Diagnostic & Interventional Colposcopy (Accredited)
Arrange to Meet Me
Pregnancy Services in Grand Cayman
Here are the services I offer as an obstetrician or OBGYN in Cayman Islands, out of Grand Pavilion, West Bay Road, Grand Cayman. It’s not comprehensive, so please ask if you don’t see.
Pre and Antenatal Care
- Advice about pre-existing medical conditions prior to pregnancy
- Provision of second opinions on same
- Holistic management of antenatal care throughout pregnancy
- Screening for complications of pregnancy, including advising on best screening tests
- Monitoring fetal growth and advice about vaccinations and medication as appropriate
- Management of pregnancy related conditions and complications
- Establishing birth plans that work for Mums
- Referral on to specialist services where necessary
Labour, Delivery & Postnatal
Care in labour and delivery
- Intrapartum care including management of labour
- Working with the midwives
- Normal vaginal delivery
- Instrumental delivery including Ventouse (vacuum) and forceps delivery)
- Repair of perineal tears or episiotomy
- Caesarean sections as a planned procedure
- Emergency sections if complications occur in labour
- Management of delivery of placenta and bleeding after delivery
Care after birth
- Postnatal care until discharged home
- Six week postnatal check and contraceptive advice
- Support for problems arising after delivery
High Risk Pregnancies
- Comprehensive risk-sensitive care of higher risk pregnancies
- Care to Mums with pre-existing conditions e.g. diabetes, kidney disease, thyroid issues, autoimmune diseases
- First pregnancies after the age of 35
- Family history of complications
- Multiple gestation
- Gestational diabetes
- Preeclampsia & eclampsia
- Previous birth issues, including preterm birth
- Blood pressure issues
- Antenatal testing & monitoring
- Identifying genetic conditions
- Genetic counselling
- Management of pregnancies with fetal anomalies
- High-risk pregnancy management
- Pregnancy complications
- Management of twin or triplet pregnancies
- Preeclamsia, including emergency management
- Management of infections
- Fetal monitoring & assessment
Pregancy Team Matters
Appointment Booking with Dr Madhavi Manoharan, Obstetrician in Cayman Islands
Please simply work through the steps on screen. If you have seen one of our our team previously, it is likely we have your details in the system. Please use the following information when prompted to do so:
- Your own email
- Your name (or child’s name, if booking for them)
- Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy) (or Child’s…)
- Your Gender (or Child’s)
Booking on Mobile
If you are using a smartphone, it helps to turn your screen sideways (landscape).
Urgent Care/ Sick Appointments
If you cannot see an appointment slot available, please call us on (345) 745 7450 within office hours or on the Out-of-Hours Service (345) 326 4370 (Note: Calls only, Out-of-Hours Only) as we can almost always see urgent cases.
Online booking with instant confirmation
Please simply work through the steps on screen. On mobile, try turning your phone sideways.
Education, Training & Experience
- MBBS – Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- MD – Doctorate of Medicine
- FRCOG – Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- CCT – Certificate of Completion of Training in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Fetal Medicine (RCOG Special Skills Module Accreditation)
- Advanced Labour Ward Practitioner (RCOG Accreditation)
- Diploma in Obstetric Ultrasound
- Ultrasound Imaging in Managing Gynaecological Conditions (RCOG Special Skills Module Accreditation)
- DGO – Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- Accredited by the BSCCP (The British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology)
- DFFP – Diploma of the Faculty of Family Planning
In addition to her explicit qualifications, Dr Manoharan has extensive additional training and experience in the following areas:
- Maternal medicine & high-risk obstetrics
- Fetal anomalies & growth restriction
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Minimal access surgery
- Hysteroscopic surgery
- Vulval disease
- PROMPT Obstetric Emergencies Training (including as instructor)
- Trans-abdominal and trans-vaginal scans for early pregnancy problems
- Managing obstetric emergencies such as emergency caesarean sections especially with major antepartum bleedings and extreme prematurity along with severe pre-eclampsia and eclampsia Diabetes in pregnancy
- Contraception including insertion of contraceptive coils and implants
- Clinical governance and risk management
My obstetric experience spans 23 years, including more than a decade at tertiary level and 7 years as consultant at the prestigious Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust. I have a special interest in both obstetric safety and in high-risk pregnancies, backed up by a training in maternal medicine and a specialist interest and formal accreditation in fetal medicine.
I believe in supporting women in shared decision-making about mode of delivery, including aiming for normal vaginal delivery and vaginal birth after caesarean section. I am experienced in caesarean section, instrumental vaginal delivery including ventouse and forceps. I have experience of vaginal breech deliveries and vaginal twin deliveries.
I have a special interest in diabetes in pregnancy, with extensive experience of conducting antenatal diabetic clinics, including jointly with an endocrinologist.
High Risk Obstetrician
My training and accreditation in fetal and maternal medicine has led to extensive experience in the managing women with pregnancies complicated by severe growth restriction, twin or multiple pregnancies and pregnancies with fetal anomalies. I have had training in early pregnancy scanning for identifying early pregnancy problems like miscarriage, ectopic and molar pregnancies.
I have had training in managing obstetric emergencies (including as instructor). My experience in managing obstetric emergencies extends to emergency caesarean sections especially with major antepartum bleedings and extreme prematurity along with severe pre-eclampsia and eclampsia.
In reproductive medicine I am experienced in diagnosis and management of infertility and manage patients undergoing ovulation induction, IVF and IUI. I have been trained to perform open tubal microsurgery including reversal of sterilisation, tubal surgery and cuff salpingostomy. I now carry out most of the tubal surgery laparoscopically.
- Diagnostic assessment of both female and male partners experiencing a delay in conceiving
- Investigations including ultrasound and laparoscopic assessment of the woman’s pelvis and tubal patency
- Assessment and treatment of hormone disorders
- Onward referral to assisted conception services where appropriate
- Understanding of the psychosocial consequences of a delay in conceiving
I have a specialist interest, training and accreditation in fetal and maternal medicine. I have extensive experience in the managing women with pregnancies complicated by severe growth restriction, twin or multiple pregnancies and pregnancies with fetal anomalies.
Fetal Medicine sits really between obstetrics and neonatal medicine, providing care and diagnosis for your baby whilst in-utero. This is especially important in the event of complications or fetal anomalies. In this situation, I provide pregnancy care and guidance with those complications in mind, including coordinating care with my neonatal colleagues to ensure birth is carefully planned with safety in mind.
NOTE: I HAVE A WHOLE PAGE ON MY GYNAE EXPERIENCE & SERVICES
I have a long, broad-based training and experience in gynaecology services, including as a tertiary consultant in a prestigious London teaching hospital.
I am confident in both abdominal and vaginal hysterectomy, open myomectomy, vaginal repairs and hysteroscopic resection of polyps and fibroids. I am trained in advanced laparoscopic surgery, minimal access procedures, surgery for endometriosis including, excision of endometriosis, ovarian cystectomy and other operative laparoscopic procedures including adhesiolysis, salpingo-oophorectomy and ectopic pregnancy. I have carried out LAVH and laparoscopic subtotal hysterectomies and total laparoscopic hysterectomies.
I have a specific training in trans-abdominal and trans-vaginal gynaecological ultrasound scanning and can conduct this routinely in clinic for benign gynaecological conditions.
I am experienced in the management of women with prolapse, menstrual disorders, pelvic mass and fibroids.
I am accredited by The British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology in Colposcopy in both diagnosis and treatment of benign gynaecological conditions, including routinely performing colposcopy within the clinic environment.
Latest News & Views from Dr Madhavi
Menopause and osteoporosis – what’s the link? Menopause causes a wide variety of changes in the female body, as estrogen levels decrease, and the menstrual cycle stops. Estrogen is an important female sex hormone with many vital roles in the body, one of which is...
October is Menopause Awareness Month and so we wanted to provide a series of pieces about the menopause to help educate and raise greater awareness of the many menopause symptoms. What is Menopause? Menopause is said to have occurred when a woman has stopped...
It’s been a busy year for our Complete Care Pregnancy Team, the only one in the Cayman Islands that combines tertiary Obstetricians, a Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist and Neonatologists (Newborn Care Specialists), along with dedicated Midwifery, all within one...
What is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome & What are the PCOS Symptoms? Polycystic ovary syndrome (or PCOS) is a common condition in which the female ovaries produce above-average levels of the male sex hormone testosterone. Testosterone, in the right amounts, plays a...
Meet Our Unique Cayman OBGYN Team
Our Team covers Obstetrics, Fetal Medicine, Gynaecology, Nursing & Midwifery
100% female, true-multidisciplinary, tertiary medical team, including working alongside a full paediatric/neonatal team, supported by highly experienced nursing & midwifery team.